Bognor Regis Herald — Councillor expresses deep concern after man attacked in Nyewood Lane
Read the latest full edition: https://paper.li/FPFCNews/1414967197#/
An eyewitness report given to a former Town Councillor has caused deep concern to Town Councillor Jan Cosgrove. On Sunday last, he has been told that a man was attacked by a group of youths in Nyewood Lane in the afternoon. Allegedly, according to an eyewitness in a car, around 8 youths were seen to be assaulting and kicking a man on the ground.
When the man asked what they were doing, Cllr Cosgrove says the eyewitness was told the victim was “foreign”. It seems they then left, he discovered the man was in fact Scots. According to The Observer series the time was around 4.26pm and that having been called, neither victim nor attackers were found.
Police called after youth gang attack
Police were called after a man was attacked by a gang of youths in Bognor. Officers were called at 4.26pm on Sunday…
“I emailed Sussex Police at 101, as I was not sure the matter had been reported, but I have not even had an acknowledgement which is not satisfactory nor the only time.
“I am concerned that an attack appears to have taken place, and the more so as the youths appeared to believe the man was foreign, so in these times one has to be watchful for xenophobic and racist feelings leading to incidents in this Town.”
On another matter, in Longford Road where he and his wife live, there has been a continuous problem with one or two motorists parking their cars on the bend opposite the Polish supermarket, on both double yellow lines and half across the pavement.
“This is dangerous and inconsiderate and has blocked the path for users. We were walking back from shopping, one of the offending cars was again parked like that, a man got out of the pedestrian side, I spoke with him that it was illegal on both counts. He swore at me, made physical threats and walked into a house on that side of the road. I noted there was someone in the driver’s seat, I tapped on the window, a woman attempted to bang the door into me. The man had complained there was no parking provided when new flats were built, and said he would park where he ‘effing’ well wanted.”
This aggression has led Cllr Cosgrove to lay complaint to Sussex Police, again via 101 and again with no response at all.
“There has been a breach of law, threats, and at least they could ensure the traffic warden was directed to this spot to ensure there is compliance with the law, or we might as well not have laws or police.”
The Herald is publishing a photo of the car in question, this has happened again since the incident, more than once, and another offender is doing the same. “The people in question may believe they are above the laws that apply to everyone else and can throw their weight around. Sorry, now I am narked and I represent people in this ward, so I have made this a mission.”